Everyone wants one . . . and we’re not talking about an old-fashioned tool to clean your clothes. We’re talking about the perfect set of washboard abs! You can crunch, plank, slam, and rotate your way to a six-pack till your heart’s content, but if you are not adding Suspension Training into your ab-shredding plan, then you’re working harder than you really should. What does Suspension Training do that simple crunches don’t? Simply put, Suspension Training introduces a level of instability that causes all your core-stabilizing muscles to engage.
By recruiting your core-stabilizing muscles, and consequently strengthening them through a methodical training plan focusing on core-strength, you will see greater results than you would through the common prescription of three reps of 20 crunches, or any other variation thereof. While your body-fat percentage ultimately determines whether or not you will “see” your six-pack, the kind of training you put your abs through will determine how strong and how well-defined your core is. With this in mind, we recommend these five Suspension Training exercises for you to take control and achieve your killer abs:
- Adjust the TRX to mid-calf length.
- Start on the ground facing away (GFA) from the anchor point, on your hands and knees, with your toes in the TRX foot cradles.
- Lift up into a hand plank position, with your elbows stacked under your shoulders. Engage your core, and do not allow your hips to sag.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds and then return to the start position by lowering your knees to the ground.
- Start in a narrow symmetrical stance, tall spine, find active plank
- Drop step and slowly rotate shoulders and torso to one side simultaneously
- Drive through heel of front foot to pull body back up while maintaining tall spine.
Heavy Rope Side Plank Wave
- Lie on side, elbow placed under shoulder, feet stacked, bottom arm stable, top arm mobile.
- Maintain active plank, swing rope up and down in a wave motion with top arm, resist rotation and side bend.
- When complete, lower hips to ground.
Side Plank BR Waves
- Push Up position, set active plank
- Maintain strong active plank, reach under body with right hand and grab sand bag handle and drag sandbag slowly under body to right side of body
- Repeat in other direction.
- Adjustment: Powerhand Zone 4 palm up, Basehand Zone 1 palm down
- Position: Stand Sideways to anchor
- Keep Powerhand stacked in front of Basehand, maintain full-body tension with Rip Trainer at hip level and perpendicular to body. Hold for 10 seconds, then rest for three seconds. Repeat that sequence three times before switching sides, and repeat full sequence three times. To increase difficulty step further away from the anchor.